• Requesting a Special Dietary Accommodation for your Student

    Chisago Lakes Schools Food Services follows the United States Department of Agriculture regulation requiring federally funded Child Nutrition Programs to make meal substitutions or modifications for those students considered to have a disability that restricts their diet.  According to the Americans with Disabilities Act, the term disability refers to "any person with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, including bodily functions."    In order for a student to receive food substitutions, a Special Diet Statement MUST be completed and signed by a licensed physician, physician assistant or advanced practice nurse.  

    If your student has an Individualized Education Program (IEP) and it includes all the same information that is required in a special diet statement, it is not necessary to obtain a separate special diet statement.  However, dietary information from the IEP must be shared with the School Nurse or Food Service Department in order for your student to receive special dietary modifications.

    Requesting Milk Substitutions for your Student

    USDA Regulations also require that lactose reduced milk be made available to any student with a written request from a parent/guardian.  Juice or water cannot replace milk under the National School Lunch Program.  Written requests can be submitted to your school nurse or food service department via email or letter.  If you wish for your student to receive a special milk substitution besides lactose reduced milk such as almond or rice milk, a Special Diet Statement is required.